Monday, August 10, 2015

"Personal Compute Cloud" Infrastructure Code

[https://github.com/majidaldo/personal-compute-cloud]

Problem: Automate computing infrastructure setup
Solution: Docker hosts on CoreOS machines provisioned with Ansible.

I've recently finished coding up a solution to tackle 'personal' distributed computing. I was bothered by the (apparent) lack of a framework to handle the coordination of setting up multiple machines. And shell scripts are messy. Once I learned Ansible, I was not bothered! (It will be the only systems automation tool I will be using in the foreseeable future! yah..Ansible is AWESOME!)


Catering to the Scientific Computing Workflow: However, mere automation was not my only concern. I wanted a seamless transition from what I'm working on locally to being able to bring more computing power from remote machines. Unlike (pure) software engineering there isn't a 'development' environment and a 'production' environment. Now there are a handful of codes out there that can help you provision CoreOS clusters, but that does not fit well with the scientific computing workflow.

Status: Most of the functionality that I had planned has been implemented. However, like all codes, it's a work-in-progress. I'll be adding functionality as needed by my priorities.

Try it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment